Who doesn’t love a good burger?
1 tablespoon freshly ground coffee
2 teaspoons (packed) golden brown sugar
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
8 slices smoked bacon
1 pound ground chuck
1 pound ground sirloin
8 slices smoked provolone, smoked caciocavallo, or smoked Gouda cheese (about 8 ounces)
8 hamburger rolls
Tomato slices, onion slices and your favorite bbq sauce for serving
For coffee rub:
1. Mix all ingredients in small bowl. Can be made 1 week ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Break in half. Gently mix chuck and sirloin in large bowl. Form meat into 8 patties, each 3 1/2 to 4 inches in diameter and 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick. Using thumb, make slight indentation in center of each burger (this will help with shrinkage when it cooks). Cover separately and chill.
- Prepare grill (medium-high heat). Sprinkle 1 teaspoon coffee rub on top side of each burger. Place burgers, rub side down, on grill rack. Grill until slightly charred, about 4 minutes; turn.
- Place 2 bacon slice halves atop each burger. Cook 3 minutes.
- Top each with 1 cheese slice. Cover and cook until cheese melts, about 1 minute longer.
- Place burgers atop bottom halves of buns. Top with onion slices and tomato slices. Spoon dollop of your favorite bbq sauce over it all. Cover with bun tops and serve, passing additional sauce alongside.