Use dark and rich coffee for this tasty dessert! It can be made and chilled a day ahead.
6 Tablespoons finely ground dark-roast cofee
2 1/4 cups boiling-hot water plus 1 Tablespoon cold water
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored geleatin (from one 1/4-oz envelope)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup chilled heavy cream
scant 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1. Brew ground coffee in a filter-style coffeemaker (not electric) or a sieve lined with a paper filter using 2 cups boiling-hot water.
2. Meanwhile, bring granulated sugar and remaining 1/4 cup hot water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved, then remove from heat.
3. Sprinkle gelatin over 1 tablespoon cold water and let soften 1 minute.
4. Stir together hot coffee, sugar syrup, and vanilla in a metal bowl, then add gelatin mixture, stirring until dissolved.
5. Chill, covered, until softly set, at least 8 hours.
1. Force brown sugar through a sieve into a bowl, then add cream and curry powder and beat with an electric mixer or a whisk until it just holds soft peaks.
Finally, divide gelée among 10 (2- to 4-ounce) cups (such as espresso cups) and top with dollops of the whipped cream.