2 sugar cubes
1 1/2 ounces Irish whiskey
1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream, lightly beaten (but still pourable)
- Warm a mug or glass cup by filling it with hot water for about 1 minute, and then empty the glass.
- Fill the glass three-quarters full with hot coffee. Add the sugar, and then stir until dissolved.
- Stir in the whiskey.
- Top the coffee with lightly whipped cream by holding an overturned spoon over the coffee. Slowly pour the cream over it. The goal is for the cream to float on top of the coffee; do not mix it in. Part of the Irish coffee experience is drinking the hot coffee through a layer of cool cream.
- Sweeten the coffee with 1 teaspoon of brown sugar instead of sugar cubes.
- For a rich and chocolaty Irish coffee, stir 2 tablespoons of milk chocolate bits into the coffee at the same time as the sugar. Once the chocolate has melted, add the whiskey.